February 28, 2018

LevRage - The Culling (Review)

I rarely listen to Western metal. Modern model of Western metal music gets bored very quickly. Among Western countries, I prefer those in which music is a bad source of profit (for example, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Poland). This makes musicians produce rare, but very interesting releases. In USA it's difficult to find interesting bands because of their large number.

My Rating: 84/100

Source - soundcloud.com/levrage
Nevertheless, it's possible. Today I want to review band Levrage and their new single "The Culling". I really liked album "Lost Nation" and now I wanted a sequel. And sequel appeared recently in the form of a single. Allegorical cover art promises us topics that it's impossible to keep silent - these topics are always interesting. As for music, here we again hear thrash/groove metal with strong hardcore influence. Overall structures leaves a pleasant impression. The single track from this release reminded me of track Pushing Resistance from album "Lost Nation": here listener captures the overall structure, but a few shades are taken into account. I can not say that this release is made better than previous. Well, it's difficult to fly higher every time.

Rather strong voice of vocalist and very honest lyrics is the first thing to notice. Vocalist is good - here we hear harsh, screaming and clean. Voice and combination of vocal techniques is not unique, but I can not remember who it might look like.

But instrumental parts I can not call very interesting. In instrumental parts it's difficult to find anything interesting, except for a few riffs with pinch harmonics (near the end). Even drums - constructions does not differ in variety, although this is typical for this genre. But some shades give a sense of professional work. Here you can feel good composer's work: there remains a good aftertaste.

Well, there's only one track, so I can not write much about it. Good or bad, everyone will decide on their own. But this band had good potential from beginning. And now they again show an excellent skill level. I hope next release will be a worthy continuation of album "Lost Nation".