January 17, 2018

Kevin Lytle - Trial And Error (Review)

Well, first days of year are not presented with any new releases. Therefore, we will consider something released earlier. Recently on Twitter, I came across the account of an interesting musician Kevin Lytle. Also, I recently found out that he has an album about which I will tell today.

Source:
kevinlytle.bandcamp.com
My Rating: 75/100

I will not be write with pathos like "I am very rarely surprised, but ...". I'll just say that album is pretty good. When I finished listening to this album, I couldn't say anything about it. Really. I am currently writing this review, but I don't know what to write. I was very surprised by methods of artistic task solving: minimum quantity, but used to maximum. Guy just plays guitar and sings. Thats all. There are no borders, no labels, no prejudices. Here I remembered phrase of Mikhail Kalashnikov "Creating a simple is harder than creating a complex".

Do I need to say the album turned out to be interesting? I think this is superfluous. An even, monotonous narrative with rather deep texts permeates this album from beginning to the end. Because of this, album has its own special, oppressive atmosphere. At first it seems that this is quickie. Until we hear a voice. First of all, it should be noted that vocalist does't use all his abilities. Here we hear a monotonous narrative - this is by no means the pinnacle of mastery. But here vocal parts amazingly accurately emphasize the lyrics. An exception is 4 track - vocal technique can't be appropriate for this lyric.

Instrumental parties don't shine with any particular originality and complexity. Fans of a technical playing here will not find something interesting. But they are composed very accurately, supplementing the voice and lyrics. The only inconvenient moment is traced in tracks 7 and 9 - instrumental parts are poorly compatible with voice. Nevertheless, I very rarely hear such an accurate solution to an artistic task. Therefore, a detailed description of instrumental parts is quite difficult.

For the reasons stated above, I can't accurately describe this album. What can I talk about, if I couldn't even genre name? But it made a great impression on me. Formulated the task and performed it - this is simple. Someone might say that it's boring. But this is real skill.