January 26, 2018

Coco.Ange - Fuyu No Sei (review)

I really don't like pop music. Usually 99.9% of such music is a groan about sexual difficulties under two chords. Today I will talk about a project that relates to the remaining 0.1%.

My Rating: 78/100

I have known pretty girl Kohaku for quite some time. She is very noticeable not only because it often shows cleavage. She is quite unpredictable and it also affects its projects. Previous - Honey Trap - changed quite often. Well, next project - Coco.Ange - suffered the same fate: first we see beautiful ladies in snow-white dresses, but now the concept has been changed. However, it's even more interesting.

Here we hear some non-standard power-pop. General structure is made quite interesting. First thing you can notice is a fairly honest narrative. Winter is difficult to describe: there are a lot of snow around you, which hides many of the charms of nature, thereby slowing down life. Well, such features are well reflected in lyrics.

I can not call vocalist's abilities good. You can notice that this is a beginner. There are several segments where vocalist tries to portray diversity, but it turns out monotony. Well, here is a good perspective. And if it is really a beginner, then she's on the right track.

Instrumental is good. I would never have thought that I would write this about pop music, but here instrumental parts are very interesting. But there is a downside: you can also see that in instrumental parts a few shades are taken into account. An exception is drums. It can be assumed that instrumental was composed by one person: more participants - more shades. For example, guitar sounds very unusual. I'm used to the fact that the top strongly (after 3500Hz) is cut off. Here guitar sounds very sonorous. Or academic sound of a piano is too standard an idea. But here it is surprisingly accurately built into the methods of solving an artistic task.

And now the most important thing is why you should listen to this release. This is a rhythm section. No, I don't mean bass line, although the structure is also quite interesting. I mean drums. Very diverse structures and fills - it's easy to describe in words. Well, sometimes words become superfluous and this case is no exception.

I'm not a fan of modern pop music, but this release made a good impression on me. I can say that sometimes it's worth expanding your horizons and such a release can be great in this.