December 25, 2019

Bridear - Expose Your Emotions (Review)

I like to say, "If you initially don't have talent or strong ideas, then no promotion costs will help here." By analogy with the house, which stands on the foundation, a professional stands on a special type of thinking, without which it's very difficult to obtain and apply specific knowledge.

My Rating: 57/100 Best song: Ghoul

And the reason I remembered this principle is very prosaic: Bridear's “Expose Your Emotions” album is in front of me. I’ll tell you right away: it’s wasted 43 minutes. While listening to this album, it seemed to me that something was missing, and in large quantities. Now I will try to describe my feelings in as much detail as possible. After MV “Ghoul” I expected to see a powerful and good album. I assumed that the album would be filled with interesting ideas, or at least it would be interesting to influence emotions. And I can say with confidence that I was wrong. Well, as they say, the best way to live up to expectations is to expect nothing.

The first thing I noticed was the monosyllabic naming of most songs. Question: is it a lack of imagination or is it done intentionally, so that the listener can think of everything (something like Barnum's wording)? I did not see the answer. Now about further album structure. It looks like this: first a very powerful song, then something standard, then something pop and at the end again something powerful and groove. 10 tracks - 4 different types of songs - not too much variety. Well, at least they know how to control the listener's emotions and this is a nice detail. Also, I don’t like the “jumping” volume of track 9.

Now about vocalist. It's not noticeable that the vocalist was very tense. I suppose that there was an idea to show a strong personality who can easily cope with any tasks. However, it turned out quite the opposite. It should also be noted that extreme vocal techniques in track 4 (the overall design of which is clearly stealed by the Fate Gear), and besides, in the background and with voice effects, is not a good sign. Not that this is an unfortunate idea, but it could be made easier without show-off's.

Instrumental parts are not very complex. Perhaps this is one of those albums about which I can’t write a lot about the instrumental parts - there is nothing remarkable here. But still here you can notice something. Guitars - nothing surprising here. So much so that only riffs in tracks 1, 2, 3 and 8 can be noted. Even there is a song with an acoustic guitar (track 7), but something tells me that it was already inserted somewhere closer to the end of the album recording - this song is so simple. Rhythm section - everything is somewhat better here. Rhythm section formula is quite powerful. Even at a slow pace (for example, on track 6), you can hear interesting drum loops. Additional instruments are also available here. There are several synthesizer sounds: industrial (1, 2, 8 tracks), strings (3, 5 tracks), winds (6 track) and piano (5 track). Not much. Well, at least synthesizers are not necessary in this genre, so you can write these ideas into their assets.

But I don’t understand why they are popular in his own region. Maybe because I think in Western standards. Maybe because I was not able to understand the main album idea. Yes, this album will be in first places in the coming quarter. But I did not see any value here. In the Helix album, these girls showed the highest point of their abilities, showed their limits. And this was rated by me at 61 out of 100. What have they done now? I can only guess. In fact, only 1, 3 and 8 tracks are worth attention here. All others are made only for quantity. I don’t argue, I’m unlikely to do better. But if, for example, I see my flaws and work on them, then progress has ended here last year.